Saturday, March 1, 2008

In Like a Lion

Holy Molie, March has arrived. The wind got blowing strong enough to lift the fog / smog out of the area. It was a fine day.

When I first bought a sailboat in the 1970's the wind blew that spring for ninety days in a row. Small Craft advisory was flying at the harbor every day. I was new to the sport of Sailing and I had no idea how to handle a sailboat in those conditions. My wife, bless her dearly departed heart, was very brave to join me out on the water.. She did have an adversion to the heeling which resulted from having too much sail area exposed to the prevailing breeze. Her inner ear kept me on an even keel during those early years...

I was hooked on sailing for twenty years. It was fun. Now, I enjoy NOT owning a boat. The saying around the yacht club was that a boat is "a hole in the water into which you pour money". And "the two happiest days of a man's life are the day he buys a boat and then the day that he sells that boat".

No comments: