Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Turbo Tax

I'm trying the Intuit's TurboTax program to do my taxes this year. Even though I don't have a complicated return there was one "event" last year which needs attention. I got out of the stock market at a nice high on the last shares I held. Now I have to "Pay the Piper".

I've loaded the program in the computer and started the return. It really seems simple so far. Of course I haven't gotten to the part about the Capital Gains yet. I feel the "other" shoe will fall when I crunch the numbers. I'll have to pony up a sizeable chunk of my nest egg from the sale of the stock, even though the gain is "Long Term".

I hope before I pass on to my heavenly reward the Tax code and all the associated paperwork gets changed and simplified. I heard of one plan which had only two lines on the form.

Line 1. How much did you make last year.
Line 2. Send it all in to the IRS

How much simpler could it be??

No comments: